The school motto, Quant Je Puis (“be the best you can be”), speaks of a tradition of excellence that has produced graduates that are ‘educated’ in the broadest sense of the word.
Kingâ€™s School has a proud history as a South African Educational Institution. Here are some of the highlights of a tradition that spans almost 100 years.
1858 -The original farmhouse that still serves as the school office was built.
1908 - St Winifreds, a â€˜homeâ€™ school for girls was established.
1922 - Sidney Edminson founds Kingâ€™s School for boys.
1938 - John Mitchell (Senior) appointed headmaster of the school.
1955 - John Mitchell appointed headmaster on his fatherâ€™s retirement.
1967 - Girls are admitted to Kingâ€™s School for the first time.
1977 - Black children are admitted to the school, contrary to the National Partyâ€™s segregationist policies, finally resulting in the loss of government subsidies.
1987 - A board of trustees, chaired by Peter McKenzie Brown, philanthropist and anti-apartheid activist, takes over the governance of the school.
1990 - John Mitchell retires.
1991 - The board appoints Tanya Mitchell and Anton Davis as joint heads.
2003 - Anton Davis retires as headmaster.
2004 - Leslie Weinberg appointed Chairman of the board of trustees and Dr Ben Ngubane appointed patron of Kingâ€™s School.
2007 â€“ Dominic Carlyle Mitchell appointed as Chairman of the Board of Trustees following Alan Normanâ€™s retirement.
2008 â€“ The school is awarded international Green Flag status, through the Eco-Schoolâ€™s programme, for environmental action projects and for the integration of environmental learning within the curriculum.
2012 - King’s School celebrates 90 years of educational excellence.
For a more detailed history please download our History of King’s School PDF.