In this news section you will find Archival Platform announcements. You can also download Archival Platform newsletters.
Material Culture Review: Call for Papers
Material Culture Review (MCR) solicits articles for a special issue: UNESCOâ€™s Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
UNESCOâ€™s Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage, initiated in 2003, defines intangible cultural heritage (ICH) as â€œthe practices, representations, expressions, as well as the knowledge and skills, that communities, groups and, in some cases, individuals recognize as part of their cultural heritage.â€ Intangible cultural heritage can also be defined more simply as â€œliving traditions.â€ Increasingly, members of the museum and academic community throughout the world are playing a significant role in the study, preservation, and sustainability of intangible cultural heritage. Accordingly, MCR will be publishing a special issue on intangible cultural heritage. We welcome submissions from the following areas:
* How does intangible cultural heritage play a role in sustainable economic development?
* What role does intangible cultural heritage play in identity formation in communities, regions, and countries?
* What role does intangible cultural heritage play in safeguarding and sustaining the environment?
* Policy implications surrounding intangible cultural heritage in countries that have signed the Convention and nations that have not signed the Convention
* Intangible cultural heritage and education
* Intangible cultural heritage and sustainable tourism
Other intangible cultural heritage topical areas are also welcome.
The deadline for abstracts is 31 May 2013.
MCR a peer-reviewed journal published twice a year under the auspices of Cape Breton University Press. MCR publishes original articles, research reports and notes, and critical reviews of books, exhibitions, and historic sites in English and French. The editors encourage submissions from graduate students and scholars at any phase of their professional career, professionals, and historians from the art and museum world, and from independent scholars with an interest in material culture.
Submit abstracts, manuscripts, or questions to:
For further details see the MCR website